24 Sep Vision Day Summary
Merton Priory Team Vision Day 12 September 2021 at St John’s
Katharine von Schubert, Diocesan Mission Enabler, guided some 30-40 church members through:
A discussion on what is the Church; cultural changes in recent generations; an exercise discerning people’s gifts; feedback from the questionnaires church members completed over the summer; a look at our parish demographic and various key features and communities; the Five Marks of Mission; as well as enjoying lunch together and having a walk around the immediate St John’s area.
Our main shared focus for mission across the three churches became how to encourage growth at St John’s, namely to grow a thriving congregation, which is serving its local community.
Here is a list of ideas we had on the day:
- Redevelopment of the church hall by Clarion Housing; what is best for church community, and wider community? Research needed – hall itself could be used to host discussion
- Offering St John’ s church out to more community groups
- Links to build with Harris Academy (secondary school)
- Links to build with Merton Abbey primary school
- ‘Outreach’ programme to meet people and to pray for people
- Visibility outside the church. Carol singing model (carols in the estate)
- Using existing local opportunities, eg pantomime in January, Morris dancing, Beer Festival
- “Welcome to your new home” packs, block by block, Phoenix House the first new block
- Mapping contacts in estate
- Bell-ringing, eg Harris Academy bell-ringing group
- Links with Merton Music Foundation
- Prayer – healing opportunities – building on “self-care” ethos of society
*New Evening Service at St John’s, 3rd Sunday is healing
- Prayer walks in local area.
Follow-up session Sunday 28 November 3.45pm at St John’s (followed by Evening Service 6pm Advent Carols)
Planned launch of 3-5-year Vision/Mission Plan Sunday 30 January 2022 Candlemas
Keep thinking and praying and talking to one another about these and other opportunities
If you would like to see full notes of the day, email Mark
Download the foundation places questionnaire for 2022 admissions.